Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Ideas anyone?

During the past several weeks, as I've come to terms with the fact that summer is ending (over?), I've started looking ahead to Christmas. Oh yes, I know, fall is a lovely time of year too, and I have already enjoyed putting out some autumny decorations. But Christmas, CHRISTMAS! and Advent! They strike a thrilling chord in my inner part.

One of my personal struggles the past several years has been how to make Christmas meaningful for our family. The real celebration is that Christ came to earth so save us, not that we get presents... but presents are so much more tangible, especially in this house full of little boys. One Advent tradition we've done for a couple years is to make an Advent wreath and light a candle each morning as we make (memorize) our way through Luke 2. This is one I personally enjoy to the max. The boys like it too, but every morning there will inevitably be a fight over who gets to blow the candles out. Oh well, so it's not perfect. Neither was the manger.

Anywho, back to the title of this post... I've been seized by the idea of hosting a Christmas open house in December. I love having people over, and I've desperately missed having large gatherings at our home since leaving Washington. So I'm taking initiative and inviting the town! But, um, what do I do? I've got some ideas... spiced cider and hot chocolate, Christmas cookies, snacks and appetizers, candy canes on the tree for the children (and adults too), background music, perhaps some games like a Christmas word search sitting on a counter for any who want to try (not completely sold on that one yet). I'm toying with the idea of favors of some sort, but not quite sure what, especially for a potentially large group of people. I've got lots of pinecones if anyone has a super-simple pinecone craft idea!

But once again, I'm struggling with how to make this gathering a celebration of Christ and not just an excuse to sip hot beverages and eat nummy snacks. Any ideas, either religious or party-oriented, are welcome. No, more than welcome -- wanted, yearned for, desired, longed for, dare I say needed?

1 comment:

andrea said...

I have a friend who hosts a cookie exchange every year. People are required to bring 3 dozen or more cookies and then the number they bring is divided by the number of guests and everyone gets to take each others cookies home (that covers your party favors). You can play some games, or just chat over cider. Her group of people come from a mix of backgrounds; though mostly from church. The purpose of the get together is to celebrate Christmas by inviting people into her home to embrace the fellowship aspect of Christmas. Just one idea of many, I'm sure! :)