Thursday, September 03, 2009

Garden Business


It's not that I've been intentionally neglecting the blog, it's just that this is the pile of veggies coming out of the garden every other day, and picking, washing, prepping and canning them takes a bit of time. On the alternate days there's also a pint or two of strawberries. So far I'm up to about 35 quarts worth of green beans and 14 quarts of dill pickles canned and stacked in the pantry. The cherry tomatoes get eaten as fast as I can pick them (the boys think they're candy), and I'm pawning off zucchini on anyone who will take it (if I'd realized how abundant they would be, I would have planted just a few seeds instead of the whole package!).

The corn is also coming on (we've eaten a few ears and are hoping for more this weekend), and three of the literally hundreds of tomatoes (the full-size ones, that is) have finally ripened up. Hopefully the rest follow suit before frost so I can get some salsa made! The pumpkins are small yet, but I'm optimistic that by the middle of October they'll be good carving size. The largest cantaloupes are the size of grapes... I'm not holding out hope for them this year. Oh well. The broccoli is also coming along nicely, but so far the bug spray I used on them has not been effective. If I don't find something else soon I may just have to abandon that crop because cooking up little green worms would gross me out for days!

No comments: