Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs: Light Saber Up

Synopsis: When Flint's FLDSMDFR (Flint Lockwood Diatonic Super Mutating Dynamic Food Replicator) is accidently launched into the atmosphere and starts raining burgers on Swallow Falls, the fate of the dying town is turned around. Things are looking up for Flint and the newly renamed town of Chewandswallow, until the machine begins malfunctioning. Now Flint and weather reporter Sam Sparks must risk their lives to shut it down.

Highlights: I loved when Flint told Sam that she was even more beautiful with her glasses and scrunchie, and that she should let herself be smart instead of acting flaky so that more people would like her. There was also a great side story going on with Flint trying so hard to impress his dad, and his dad having a hard time expressing himself to Flint, which was solved in the end with the use of the monkey thought translator.

Snags: Okay, this is more a personal preference than a real drawback to the movie, but it had several moments of Jim Carey/Adam Sandler humor -- that obnoxious, stupid, irritating, not-even-really-humor-if-you-ask-me humor -- but that's just me. I'd have enjoyed it more without the monkey and the cop's twitching chest hairs.

Conclusion: This was a good clean film (if you can call a movie about falling food clean) that was entertaining for our whole family. The emphasis on family relationships was also nice to see. It's not high on my re-watch list, but I if the kids ask to watch it again, I'm comfortable with that.

1 comment:

Robert Marshall Murphy said...

I loved it too! Elanor (4.5 y.o.) got so freaked out she couldn't finish it, but she did that at the "Hello Kitty" movie. Of course, she did this in the theater where I had paid extra for 3D. We've seen it again since (so I could see the ending) and every time, it makes me SOOOO hungry.