Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A Jaunt Through My Mind

Lately it seems I've been bombarded with messages regarding contentment, possessions, wealth and generosity

... A passage from Isaiah stressed how God is all I need, not anything else.

... A Banner article pointed out the need to surrender everything to God, even what I hold most dear.

... A singer spoke about being content with little and giving up earthly things while storing up eternal riches.

... A textbook touched me with stories of refugees who leave their homes with nothing but their lives, if they're lucky.

... Another blog writer reflected on simplicity and finding contentment in doing with less. (Hi Amy)

... A realization during devotions opened my eyes to how much I desire comfort and convenience, two things Jesus completely did without.

I know possessions, even luxurious ones, aren't bad. God blessed Abraham and Job with great riches. But I know they would have been willing to give it all up in a heartbeat for the sake of their Lord, and God knew that too, thus it was "safe" for Him to bless them so. But me? Give up everything? But what about hot water on tap? What about electricity? What about high-speed internet access?

So here's the real question: do I accept all the stuff around me -- this embarrassment of wealth -- as a blessing from the Lord? Or should I view it warily as a potential stumbling block, an idol waiting to be worshipped, a hinderance to living a Christ-like life?

Such are the thoughts that go running through my mind, stumble, and end up resting there awhile.

1 comment:

Mom said...

The answer to the real question: YES! It is a blessing AND a potential stumbling block. When you recognize "this embarrassment of wealth" as a blessing from the Lord and are humbled by it and thankful for it, it's potential for being a hinderance will be greatly lessened.