Friday, May 27, 2011

Deliciousness: Chicken Tortilla Soup

Wade is not a man of daring cuisine. He's not a man of spices, onions or vegetables. He's not a man who gets excited when I try new recipes.

However, he loves the spicy chicken tortilla soup at the Ground Round. This boggles my mind. And, even more mind-boggling, he asked me to try to find a recipe like that one.

So I did. It has kick. It has chunks of tomatoes. It has chilies. Did I mention it has kick and large chunks of vegetable? It does.

And he loves it! We've had it twice now, and both times he scooped up seconds. I am absolutely delighted, because I also find this soup delicious. None of the boys care for it, but after politely eating the small amount we require, they can be excused to make themselves sandwiches, leaving more for Wade and I!

So here's the recipe as I make it (notes about the original are at the end).

Chicken Tortilla Soup

2 14.5-oz cans chicken broth
(or about 4 cups of water + four t chicken bouillon)
1 10-oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies (we use mild)
1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes
1 16-oz can refried beans
1/2 c corn (fresh, frozen or canned)
1 1/2 c cooked chicken breast, chopped or shredded
1/4 c masa (corn flour, find it in the mexican section)
tortilla chips
grated cheese
sour cream

Dump chicken broth, both cans of tomatoes, refried beans and corn in a medium pot. Stir together and bring to a boil. Mix masa with 1/2 c water, and add to pot, along with chicken. Simmer for 5 minutes. When serving, top with cheese, crushed tortilla chips, and sour cream if desired.

Notes: The original recipe called for two cans of tomatoes with chilies, but we're not that daring, so I use one can with chilies and one without. If you love spiciness, use both cans with chilies! The original also called for adding 2 t fresh chopped cilantro before serving, but cilantro is outrageously priced here, and I didn't think Wade would like it, so I omitted it (although I think it sounds wonderful!). Also, the original did not call for masa, but I love what it does for chili, and I thought its effect on this soup would also be delightful, and it is.

Hope you enjoy this as much as we have!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Mmmm. I love chicken tortilla soup. I have a recipe for a spicy cheesy chicken tortilla soup, but I also like the ones that are more broth based. Maybe I can make this for dinner one night soon. Thanks for sharing the recipe!