Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Bible Study Debate

There was discussion during our last Bible study on whether or not we should give thanks for everything. The first point was made that all things -- even tragedies -- work together for good to those who love God, so we are able to give thanks for all things, knowing they are for our good. Another point was proposed that we were to give thanks in all things because God's grace is sufficient for us even in disaster, but we aren't necessarily supposed to be thankful for disaster.

As I pondered this at home later on, I reasoned that if I were to take the first viewpoint, that we can be thankful for everything, then sin in the world must be incredibly limited -- God could only allow sin that will be good for us in the long run. But then I realized I am limiting God with that notion. God is so powerful and omniscient that he could use any sin, any disaster, any tragedy and work good from it. For instance: Jesus' death on the cross. The most horrible thing to ever happen was also the best thing to ever happen.

And yet I struggle with this view. Famines in east Africa may turn some hearts to God and inspire generosity in the hearts of others, but so many will fall to hopelessness that it seems the collateral damage could be greater than the good. And even if we're able to give thanks for every problem in our own lives, how can I thank God for the disaster in a non-beleiving friend's life -- disaster that does not work for good for her and perhaps even leads to eternal damnation?

Sigh. I know, God's ways are not my ways and His thoughts are not my own. And for that I can most definitely give thanks, because to have to figure God out would certainly cause me to despair rather than revel in the amazing truth that it doesn't matter what I understand, as long as I trust that God is good.

Nonetheless, I'm interested in hearing anyone else's thoughts on the "thankful for all things" vs "thankful in all things" debate.

2 comments:

Mom D said...

Ah yes, the great debate - or at least one of them. I've been through this one a time or two myself. I have to go with being thankful "in" all things. I cannot be thankful that sin entered a perfect world separating us from it's perfect Creator. I am thankful that He takes the mess we're in and uses it where and when He does to accomplish His will. Somehow, God felt it was worth the sacrifice to create a people whom He knew would eventually need saving. If I muddle my brain with too much circular reasoning, I start hearing, "Did God really say . . ?". Yet I am convinced that life is much better trying to work within God's will than fighting it. So, here I stand along with you, trusting God knows what is perfect, right and good, and thankful that I'm not the boss.

Mom H said...

A few minutes before I read this, I heard on Focus on the Family, an interview with Sheila Walsh. She was abused as a child by her dad (I missed the beginning of the interview, so I don't know details on it). Anyway, she said that she was thankful for what had happened to her. When she was questioned about that, she explained that because of what had happened to her, she had a ministry to women that otherwise she wouldn't be able to reach. She relayed one specific situation with a pastor's wife, and said that, even if it were just that one woman that she'd helped, that she could be thankful "for" what had happened.
I personally question the "thankful for" - much prefer "thankful in." However, as time goes on, I become more and more aware that my understanding of God and his ways/thoughts is quite limited. Someday, we'll understand!