Wednesday, December 28, 2011

More

For those who follow this blog religiously (hi, moms of mine), my apologies on the lack of... much.  The family equilibrium changed with the sudden addition of a teenager, and I'm still adjusting to the new normal.  As my energies are redirected, blogging has fallen lower on the totem pole of priorities.

I (naively) hadn't expected to feel much of a pinch in adding someone who's mostly self-sufficient to the household.  I was wrong.  Every day I find myself giving more energy, more time, more love, more grace.  I worry more, cook more, delegate more, advise more, chauffeur more, study more, pray more.  

I get more hugs.  I hear "I love you" more.

I feel an urgency in parenting this young man, more so than with our biological sons.  He's already so grown up.  We have so little time with him.  He has so much still to learn.  He plans to go to college in a year and a half.  Even if he's with us until then, is that enough time?  Enough time to impart wisdom?  Enough time to teach faithfulness?  Enough time to train him in grace and respect and humility and honesty and love?  And yet, I know that on our own, we can teach him none of this.  Only God can move hearts to resemble His.  We can only model.  And pray.  And love.

And so we do.  We love more.  We give more.  We pray more and hope more and trust more and by the grace of God we receive more, too.  More than we had ever asked for or anticipated!

No comments: