Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Crumbs of Summer


Summer -- the school break, not the weather -- is nearing its end, and I am savoring it like the last bites of a sliver of cherry cheesecake -- so sweet, so satisfying, so excruciatingly small, disappearing so very rapidly.

It's been a good summer.  Relaxing and productive and entertaining.  Camping, gardening, visiting, even a little bit of schooling.  Evening games of hide-and-seek in the yard and gooey s'mores around the campfire.  Good reads with the boys and on my own.  A quickly filling pantry.

But I admit, I'm getting full -- not uncomfortably full, contentedly full.  The break from routine is delightful, but without a routine to break from, what novelty is the break?  So as I revel in these last bites, weeks, days, I'm not entirely sad that it'll soon be gone.  Wistful, perhaps, but not sad.  But oh, how I'm enjoying these last remaining crumbs!

No comments: