Thursday, January 17, 2013

A wee little thing

As of yesterday, we've got a wee one in the house -- five days wee, in fact!  Unfortunately this little peach will only be with us for a week or two while his permanent adoption arrangements are made.

I have a wishful notion that perhaps God is using this little fella to get us ready for one we can keep -- practice at the whole getting up multiple times a night business.  Or, more likely, He's trying to remind me how poorly I handle sleep deprivation and that I should just be thankful all our kiddos are way past the up-at-night-stage and I should stop praying for those days to come back!

Before we picked him up at the hospital, I spelunked through what few baby clothes we still have and packed the smallest in a bag... and then packed the next size up, too, because seriously, babies aren't that small, are they?  Oh yes, they are!  The itty-bitty hat that I thought would never fit him sits all loosey-goosey on his head.  And those size 1 diapers fit him the way teenage boys' jeans fit.

For all his tininess, he's a whole lot of sweet though.  We're only 24 hours in, but thus far he's perfectly content to eat, sleep and poop and do nothing else.

I've got more thoughts on this little one and his future but bedtime and other duties are waiting.  Depending on my sleep levels I may or may not get around to expressing those another time.

No comments: