Saturday, February 23, 2013

Winter gardening -- it's all about the apparel


Today was a beautiful day -- upper 40s! -- and I donned purple gardening gloves and a matching stocking cap (both are necessary when working outside in February, after all) to prune some leftover fall stalks, pull a few weeds that got out of control in the picnic area and generally start the spring cleaning.

Except I couldn't find my pruners, so I didn't trim anything up.

And the ground is only soft to about and eighth of an inch deep, so pulling weeds didn't work either.

But I did put on my matching gloves and hat and that was the coolest part anyway!

And I discovered that our yard has had a lot of visitors this winter.  Only one dog, that I found evidence of (ewww), but lots of deer or rabbits (not quite sure how to tell the difference between their pellets).  The size of the piles makes me suspect deer, but I have a hard time believing that many deer have traipsed around our yard unnoticed!

Why is it that dog doo-doo is nasty, but deer/rabbit droppings aren't?

And how do you tell deer and rabbit pellets apart?

Why is it that 45 degrees is lovely yard-working weather in February but miserable in September?

Why were my pruners missing?

Life is full of mysteries.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I Love this, baby! Your yard just can't wait for spring