Friday, January 30, 2009

Good Things are Happening... Good Things are Edible

Good food is coming out my ears! Okay, not literally because that would be, well, gross, and waxy, and gross. And, no, this is not connected in any way to my desire to prepare more nutritious food for my family as mentioned a few posts ago.

Okay, two recipes I want to share just because even thinking about them makes my mouth water.

Under the "meat" header in my recipe box lies this unassuming little 3x5 card, not even a cute one specifically for recipes (it's fluorescent yellow, actually) that says "Whole Crock Pot Chicken." Don't let the tame nature of the name fool you. This is one great chicken! it's more rightful name would be something like "Fall-off-the-bone-and-melt-in-your-mouth Chicken." I'm copying the recipe below as I prepare it (not as it says on the card, because that much pepper -- white, cayenne AND black -- would send the rest of my family running to the fire department. And I might have to wash it down with something too). Here goes.

1 whole chicken or 3-4 pounds chicken pieces
1 T salt
1 t seasoning salt
2 dashes cayenne pepper
1 t onion powder
1 t thyme
3/4 t garlic powder
1/2 t black pepper

Remove skin from chicken. Combine spices and rub into chicken. Place in crock pot. I also sprinkle any remaining spice mixture over chicken in the pot. Cook on low 8 to 10 hours or on high 4 to 5 hours. It's that easy. And the juices make a kick-butt gravy base to boot (get it, kick butt-to boot -- HA! I know, it wasn't funny in the first place if you had to explain it).

Recipe number two includes one of those convenience foods I rarely have in the house, but just happened to this time. I went shopping while hungry and the Jiffy Fudge Brownie Mix was on sale. Between the two incredible desires to eat and save money, resistance was futile. I'm usually more of a from-scratch kinda girl, but this little box really did make life easy last night when I needed... NEEDED... a chocolate fix. These are fabulously moist, which is a brownie requirement for me. Okay here goes.

Better than Just Jiffy Brownies

1 four-serving pkg. instant chocolate pudding
2 c milk
1 box Jiffy Fudge Brownie Mix
1 egg
1 T water
2 T oil
1/2 c chocolate chips
1/2 c flour

Combine milk and pudding mix as directed on pudding package and set aside. Combine brownie batter as directed on package, swapping out the chopped nuts for chocolate chips. To the batter add 1 1/2 c of pudding and 1/2 c flour. Mix well. Pour into a greased 8x8 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (wow, do I sound like a real cookbook or what?). Eat remaining 1/2 c of pudding while waiting for brownies to bake.

So there you go. Two wonderful recipes that will not help you feed your family more nutritiously this year. But they'll love you for it even more!

1 comment:

andrea said...

Mmm. I'm coming to your house for dinner! :)