Sunday, November 15, 2009

Young Love

Last week Luke informed me that Isaac was in love.

"Oh really," I replied. "With who?"

"I don't know her name, but she goes to our church and sits in front of us," he answered.

This narrowed it down to one of our pastor's daughters (he has five), but I didn't pursue it and soon forgot about it, until this morning as we took our seats behind Pastor Burkhalter's family and Isaac leaned over and whispered, "See that girl with the black shirt? I fell in love with her."

"I see," I responded. "Do you know her name?"

"No. What is it?" he asked.

"It's Ruth. So what made you fall in love with her?"

Isaac assumed a very serious expression and pondered for a moment, until Luke jumped in and said very seriously, "She waved at him. And he waved back."

"Yeah," Isaac said dreamily, nodding his head.

It was about all I could do to keep from laughing out loud, which would have been bad for many reasons. Several minutes later, Isaac asked, "What's her name again? I'm going to talk to her during snack time."

Unfortunately for him, Ruth and her family had to leave immediately after the service, but he didn't seem too broken-hearted. In fact, I think he'd forgotten about wanting to talk to her... at least until next Sunday!

1 comment:

andrea said...

I love these sort of kid stories! He's growing up--sort of! :)