Friday, March 04, 2011

In Defiance of Winter

After yet another another week of sub-zero temperatures and more snow in the forecast, I decided a little seed therapy was in order. Thankfully Runnings already has their seeds in stock, so I didn't have to go far. Besides this beautifully springy bouquet of seeds, I also picked up corn and bean seeds and Jiffy Pots. In the past I've made my own seed starting pots out of old newspaper, but I was feeling reckless and wild and the pots were remarkably inexpensive, so I just went for it (besides, I had a gift certificate -- I'm supposed to splurge).

Of course there will be more gardening purchases once the greenhouses are set up, and I did have to make one on-line order for heirloom tomato seeds, since ya jest cain't get them kinda thangs out here in the boondocks. I've never grown heirloom tomatoes, but I'm very excited to try them out!

Here are the varieties I chose... and boy was it hard to narrow it down to these three!

Pineapple Tomato - Heirloom


Yellow Pear Tomato - Certified Organic Heirloom


Black Cherry Tomato


(above images courtesy of Sweet Corn Organic Nursery which by the way, had free shipping on these items -- yea!)

So now when the thermometer plunges into the single digits and below, which it's doing every night yet, I'll look at my bouquet of seed packages and smile... and sip hot chocolate.

No comments: