Thursday, March 03, 2011

The Sunday Morning Horror Show

I should know better than to try crazy new ideas on Saturday nights... when I'm going to have to deal with the consequences of them on Sunday morning when we're already going to be a hurry.

This time it was a new conditioning trick a lady at the salon suggested: mayonnaise as conditioner.

I already love baking soda as shampoo (more on that some other time... maybe), so why not another kitchen staple as conditioner?

Usually I google these bright ideas before trying them, just to make sure I've got the details right, but this time I just took the gal's word for it, showered as usual, slathered my head up with a generous handful of mayo, rinsed about 10 minutes later, then shortly went to bed.

If I had googled this procedure, I would have known that it only takes about 1 teaspoon of mayo, and you have to wash -- not just rinse -- it out afterwards.

Sunday morning I woke up with hair that looked like it hadn't been washed in a month! It felt like it had been doused with vegetable oil! The water had dried, but oil from the mayo was still very much in my hair (and on my pillow).

A little background on Sunday mornings. Our crew, most of whom don't wake up until after 7:30 a.m., has to be woken, fed, dressed and in the van before 7:30 a.m. to make it to church on time. It's not our prettiest morning, and this one in particular was quite possibly my ugliest. And suddenly mommy needs a shower she didn't wake up early enough for!

And not only did I have to shower, but I was pretty sure that to get the oiliness out I had to use real shampoo, which I don't like using (like I said previously, more on that another time).

Ugh. It was an ordeal. But, and here's the cool thing, this overnight leave-in conditioner stunt left my hair so incredibly smooth and shiney, despite having used shampoo! So there was an upside.

So, if you don't mind using shampoo and are looking for a conditioning boost, I would recommend spending a night with mayo in your hair. I may just try it again sometime, but not on a Saturday night!

No comments: