Saturday, April 30, 2011

A Stroke of Genius (if I do say so myself)

A week ago, in an effort to increase safety, sanitation and sanity when entering my sons' bedrooms, I implemented daily "floor inspections," for which the bedroom floors must be clear of books, blankets, clothes, toys and all the other odds and ends that mysteriously make their way upstairs (and piling everything up on the beds does not count!).

This initiative appeared good in theory -- navigable bedrooms are much more pleasant, safe and non-malodorous than those in which the floor is impassable. But as I considered enacting it, I realized that in practice, this was a) going to make more work for me, since I'd inevitably be the one to police the inspections; and b) yet one more opportunity for mommy to come across as a bad guy on a daily basis.

Cue animated light bulb over my head.

I was not going to perform the inspections -- they were! Oh no, no one was going to be inspecting their own rooms, no, no, no, no. The two boys of each bedroom would inspect the bedroom of the other boys, letting them know whether or not the tidying was up to snuff.

And so, for the past week, Levi and Luke have diligently (if not excitedly) let Isaac and Elijah know just exactly what needs improving in their bedroom, while Isaac and Elijah very thoroughly inspect Luke and Levi's room for stray socks, papers shoved under the beds, and other miniscule litterings.

The rooms look great, the boys are shouldering responsibility, and mommy is happy.

Now if I could just come up with a plan for keeping my own bedroom floor so uncluttered.

1 comment:

Mom D said...

Genius, indeed!!! Good plan.
Now regarding your room: I dont' suppose it would go over too well if Wade were to inspect your room. Acutally, it might not work at all. If he knows what's good for him, the room would be perfect no matter what it looked like.