Thursday, September 01, 2011

Blame it on Hormones

Every so often (with regularity that rivals that of the moon) I have a couple days of particularly passionate and convicting devotional times. During these phases I praise God more adoringly, search my heart more deeply, bemoan my sinfulness more loathfully and find renewed vigor for pursuing holiness.

However, as much as I enjoy a really inspired time of worship with my Lord, I sometimes wonder whether it's right for me to take advantage of these hormonally induced feelings or if I should try to temper them, realizing that I can very easily become carried away by them.

I find myself questioning my motives for homeschooling my kids, trying to adopt, volunteering, wearing make-up to church and even blogging. And sometimes I become convicted about these issues, but then, after the "feeling" has passed, I wonder if it was an authentic conviction or just an emotional fancy. Are decisions made on a hormone high legitimate and binding?

So here I am, at the end of my little rant, without a nice, tidy conclusion. This time of month I don't have nice tidy conclusions, only questions and uncertainties. Ugh. What an ending. Comments welcome.

2 comments:

Mom D said...

Remember, God made hormones, too. He must have had a reason for them to have an emotional as well as physical effect. Do not, I repeat, do not temper your praise to Him. It's like the sunshine - take full advantage while it shines be cause tomorrow may well be another story and a lost opportunity. As far as decisions while under the influence - do your best and don't kick yourself too hard if you find yourself unable to follow through - God understands. . . and we both love you tons & tons!

Abbey said...

Oh how I can relate to this Kerri! I am so happy I passed by your post as I was HAVING very simular thoughts this week!

But by the end of it I had some wonderful God appointed moments and found many answers. I too know that I get very "emotional" at "certian times" and during those I question alot of things too, but I also see beauty much easier and can relate to others pains more personaly.
I am a very emotional being and God created me that way and I am learnind to seek His direction to better use the gifts He has given me. But sometimes I too just have to rant and eat alot of chocolate! Then rest and know that He is steadfast and if I keep my lamp full of Him I hope to find my way through my self induced "darkness" and times of irratic emotion.

Thanks so much for your honesty! It made me feel much more "normal"!
Abbey