Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Vanity, Vanity, All is Vanity!

I have come to a critical decision point.  To buy a new tube of mascara... or not.  I know, totally deep, right?  The question plagues me, though, shallow as it sounds.  Many months back, I tentatively decided to finish off my current tube of mascara and then give it up.  Now that my poor aged tube is dry and sticky and barely eeking out any color at all, I'm not sure I'm ready to let my grip on vanity go.  And that's what inspired the no-mascara notion in the first place -- my firm grip on vanity.

Both sides of the mental debate are armed with fine points.

On the pro (no more mascara) side: 
• The disciples preached against excessive adornment for believers.
• As a wearer, I feel enslaved to it, needing to put it on before going to church or restaurants.
• My personal reasons for wearing eye make-up are to make others and myself think I am pretty, when my real beauty should come from a pure heart.
• And the crux of it, I am more vain (more likely to glance in mirrors more often) when I am wearing make-up.

On the con (run to the store and get another tube now!) side: 
• God appreciates extravagant beauty when it comes to worshipping him (consider the design details for the building of the tabernacle).
• A lack of make-up looks unprofessional (not that I have any reason to look professional) and possibly inappropriate (as when eating at a fine dining establishment... oh wait, I don't really do that either).
• I don't want to look "dowdy" or unattractive to Wade (who I can't bring myself to entirely believe when he says he truly doesn't care whether or not I wear make-up).
• I prefer how I look with it on, even if it is annoying to apply.

Part of me feels silly for agonizing over this at all.  Seriously, Kerri, it's not a big deal either way!  Is it?  In 100 years, no one will know or care.  

Part of my fear is that giving up mascara may lead me to feel convicted to give up foundation too -- heaven forbid!  Or curling my hair, or dressing up or washing my hair or showering or even getting dressed in the morning!  See where this is going?  It's ain't pretty.  And I want pretty!

Maybe I should just run to the drug store now.

No comments: