Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Well I Feel Like A Dork

If I were blond, I'd say I had a blond moment.  Since I'm brunette, I don't know what excuse to use.  I wanted to know how many grams of sugar I add to my cup of tea, so I opened the cupboard, turned the sugar bag sideways to see the nutrition label, and read, "One serving = 1/4 cup (30g)."  Wow!  That seems like a very generous serving size, but then some breakfast cereals have about that many grams of sugar per serving, so maybe one bowl of frosted mini-wheats has one serving of sugar.  Hey, it could be.  I read on, "One serving = 3g protein."  Really?  I had no idea sugar had protein in it.  Great!  "One serving = less than 1g sugar."  Huh?  Wait a minute... how can a 30g serving of sugar, have less than 1g of sugar in it?  Something's fishy here.  Oh wait, something's floury here.  That bag of sugar... was actually a bag of flour. Oops.

Which is so sad!  Because now all of a sudden my sugar serving size dropped from a quarter cup to a mere teaspoon (4g)!  And now I have to live with the knowledge that one of my favorite breakfast cereals has seven servings of sugar -- ugh!  I didn't want to know!  Dumb nutrition labels.  Ignorance was bliss.  Maybe I should add flour to my tea instead.

2 comments:

mom H said...

Made me laugh! You can blame it on the flu/cold/whatever it is!!

Amanda Howard said...

Made me laugh too! I read labels closely, so I can picture myself doing the same thing! My problem here is that everything is on the metric system. So when I go to the deli counter at the grocery store to buy some cheese, they want to know how many grams I want. My only reference is what I learned in elementary school- one gram is about the same as a paperclip. How many paperclips worth of cheese do I want?! Makes me feel like a big, giant dork.