Tuesday, March 20, 2012

A Backwards Sermon

Every time I read through Jesus' Sermon on the Mount, I am so thankful to live in the time I do and not during the days Jesus walked the earth.  As incredible as it would have been to actually see Jesus and hear these words from his mouth, I think I would have thought he was nuts.

First off, he presents this totally backwards list -- blessed are the poor in spirit, the meek, the mourning, the persecuted.  If I am being persecuted, I am probably not feeling very blessed!  What is this guy talking about?

Then he makes several claims beginning with "You have heard it said... but I tell you..."  He took the teachings the people had heard all their lives and changed them!  If someone came up to me and told me the things my parents and pastors had told me were wrong, I would walk away shaking my head and thinking they were crazy.  Give to those who are suing you?  Bless those who curse you?  Seriously?

And then he launches into a scathing review of the Pharisees and teachers of the law -- "They are hypocrites who have already received their reward!  Don't be like them!"  What?!?  These guys are the high and mighties!  They are the best of the best!  And he says, "Unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven."  The people must have wondered, how in the world can my righteousness be more than theirs?

And yet, people listened to him.

"And so it was, when Jesus had ended these sayings, that the people were astonished at His teaching, for He taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes."

Yeah, Jesus can do that, too.  Amazing.

No comments: