Monday, July 23, 2012

Good Reads Follow Up


Thanks for all the great book suggestions many of you posted a a couple weeks back!  My "to read" list is now much longer (which is a good thing, since our library is rather limited, and only every fifth book I search for is actually in the database).

I read and fell in love with The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society between Hettinger and Missoula.  A ten-hour drive was the perfect time to read a book that would have been very hard to put down, had I been reading at home!  However, it did make the delight of a novel pass far too quickly.  What, the story's already finished and we're not even there yet?

I also read The House at Riverton on the trip, but wasn't real impressed.  It kept getting better as I read, so I had high hopes of it actually getting "good" by the end, but I was left unsatisfied.  I realized during this book that authors truly should stick to writing what they know about.  This one described the sound of snowflakes hitting the windows, and I thought, you've never actually experienced a snowfall, have you?

I tried A is for Alibi after we got home, but put it down after four chapters.  After the letdown of the previous book I just wasn't feeling up to investing much time in something that didn't grip me from the start.

A scant hour into Sam's Letters to Jennifer, however, I know this is a book I will finish.  I love letter-type books.  It feels sneaky, like snooping around someone else's house.  Not that I do that.  Although given the chance....  Better lock your doors -- I might sneak in and take your books!

No comments: