Friday, July 06, 2012

Searching for a Great Read

I've got a five-volume-high stack of books, fresh from the library, ready to go on a 2500-mile-round-trip road trip.  I know I won't get through all of them.  Likely, I won't get through half of them.  But I thought it best to pack them all in case one or two are duds.

At the top of the list is The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society, a recommendation by my mom who gave it glowing reviews.  And Mom doesn't give glowing reviews to just any book.  So this oughta be good!

A is for Alibi was a recommendation of a librarian friend.  I'm not sure I would have otherwise picked this one off the shelf, but I'm in search of a new series to love and am giving this one a chance to be it.

The Time Traveler's Wife, "now a major motion picture," must not be half bad or it wouldn't have been made into a movie, right?  I know nothing about this book or the movie, but like I said, I'm searching.

I grabbed Sam's Letters to Jennifer because I just finished Sundays at Tiffany's by the same author and thought it was adorable.  I'll give James Patterson another chance to impress me.

And finally sits The House at Riverton.  I was looking for Kate Morton's The Forgotten Garden, but this was her only book on the shelf, so now it's on mine.

There are quite a few titles on my "to read" list that aren't available at our local library.  I love our little library, and the fact that's it's only a block away.  But the selection is rather limited.  So to expand my options today I searched for a few of my favorite books on Amazon and perused the "others who purchased this book also enjoyed..." list.

I'm not terribly optimistic though, except about The Guernsey... one.  I've read a few exceptionally enjoyable books lately, which is fantastic, except that it makes books that would otherwise be pretty good seem only so-so in comparison.

Anyone out there have some great suggestions?  I'm open to all genres, love fine-worded authors who can skillfully twist a phrase, and prefer to keep the content to a PG-13 rating.

Here's hoping my stack gets me through the vastness of Montana and back, and that there's a great list of devour-able titles here when I get back!

6 comments:

Sharon said...

I can definitely recommend The Guernsey... book. I read that last year, I think. I'm always fascinated by books about people's personal experiences during WWII, so I liked it.

I also LOVED The Time Traveler's Wife. The book is so much better than the movie. It can be a bit confusing at first because of all the jumps in time, but it's a fabulous read.

I really enjoy anything by Maeve Binchy. She's a fabulous writer. All her novels are usually set in Ireland, and some of them are very bittersweet, but they're beautiful and touching and the storylines are really interesting. Happy reading on your road trip! :)

Unknown said...

These are two of my recent favorites!

Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
http://www.amazon.com/Gilead-A-Novel-Marilynne-Robinson/dp/031242440X/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp

Peace Like a River by Leif Enger
http://www.amazon.com/Peace-Like-River-Leif-Enger/dp/0802139256/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1341726354&sr=1-1&keywords=peace+like+a+river

Mom D said...

I'll add my vote to Gilead, but other books by the same author have left me disappointed.

I personally love anything by Kerri Howard!

Amy said...

I have the "Guernsey" book on my to-read stack too (well, figuratively, at least). And I picked up "The Time Traveler's Wife" at a garage sale for cheap this summer, so it's on the stack as well. Eager to hear what you think of these!

I second "Peace Like a River" if you haven't read it.

I'm recently gotten a lot of recommendations from this series that I found through Pinterest: http://sarahbessey.com/in-which-i-announce-10-book-week/. Some of them didn't interest me, but I did add quite a few (from the posts and the comments!) that looked interesting.

Joel said...

I'll add to the glowing recommendations for Guernsey, Gilead, and Peace Like a River. I'll also admit to enjoying the A is for Alibi series, but this would qualify more as a guilty pleasure.

Additional highly recommended:
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford.
When Crickets Cry by Charles Martin.
Summer of Light by W. Dale Cramer.
Horse Dreams Series by Stephen Bly, with starts out with Memories of a Dirt Road Town.
Blind Your Ponies by Stanley Gordon West. This one poses a slight dilemma with your ratings, but I think highly enough of it to mention it anyway, with a warning.

Robert Marshall Murphy said...

PLaR and Gilead are awesome. Agree w/ above TTTW is much better as a book than a movie. Don't even see the movie.