Saturday, March 21, 2009

Spring Flooding

Another fabulous 60-degree day (this time on a SATURDAY no less!) was cause for a family outing. The six of us biked down to Mirror Lake to observe the flooding... well, five of us biked down to Mirror Lake; the littlest one biked halfway and then rode on the back of Daddy's bike while Mommy carried his bike on her bike. Yes, it was awkward, but it was such a beautiful day it didn't even bother us.


Okay, my bias is going to leak out here, I just can't hold it in any longer --- aren't they just the CUTEST little boys EVER?!?


Mirror Lake has overflowed its banks and is pouring over the spillway. There certainly was someone bright on the city planning committee when the road encircling the lake was built. They deliberately created a low spot in the road so when the water rises too high, it only spills over in one spot, rather than flooding the yards of those who live around the lake.



In other exciting flood news, we drove down to Lodgepole, SD, on Thursday to observe the South Grand River. Usually this river does not live up to its name, but right now it does. We stood on the bridge while rushing water and drifting ice chunks the size of vehicles flowed beneath us. Occasionally an ice chunk would hit the bridge supports, causing a tremendous thud and shaking the bridge. Thrilling, I tell you! Note: the picture below is not the South Grand, it what is usually a very dry creek bed.


Although I quite enjoy seeing all the snow depart after 135 days (and counting), it's a shame that all this fabulous moisture is just running away. If only we could harness it and save a few millions gallons for the heat of summer! Lest I speak too quickly though, more snow is forecast for this week... up to 40 inches. I'll believe it when I see it, and I hope I don't see it, because I'm supposed to drive to Billings this week to fly to Washington for Laura and Justin's wedding (Yea!!) and 40 inches of snow could put a real damper on travel plans!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also think that those are the cutest boys ever! And I can't believe that I'm biased either!!

Lots of love to those handsome little guys! I'm glad that you could all be out enjoying the wonderful weather!

Nana