Thursday, May 03, 2012

Sore Knees


Recently there was an incident at church -- not a big deal at all, basically just a lack of tact, I suppose, and not really a sinful act at all.  But the way I reacted to it in my heart spoke volumes more about my sinful nature than the "act" had about the person who was tactless.

When I heard about the incident, I didn't hear who it was, and in that instant two thoughts shot through my mind, mere synapses apart:  "I'm not going to ask 'who was it?'" and "I can't believe she did that!"

Any pride I might have felt for resisting the urge to gossip was immediately decimated by the instant accusation and judgement in my heart -- of course I knew who it was! -- of someone who may not have even been the one who did it!  And even if the one my heart accused was the "guilty" one, I don't know the motivation of their heart.  Yes, it could have been stinginess; or there could be a legitimate reason behind it that was't obvious at first glance.

Arggggg!  I hate when my own judgmentalness points its ugly finger back at my own heart!

So what can I learn from this tragic yet truly unsurprising fall from grace?  The great thing about stumbling, is that it lands me on my knees, right where I should always be before my Lord anyway.  Sometimes my knees get awfully sore though.

No comments: