Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Wednesday Contribution in a Timely Manner


Here's my ten-minute blog contribution for this Wednesday.

I'm trying a new "convince myself to be more tidy" strategy.  When I see something that should be done but am tempted to walk right by it, I tell myself, "You'll love yourself for it later."

There are paper odds and ends sitting on the counter.  "Put them in the trash now.  You'll love yourself for it later."

The compost bucket is so full it barely closes.  "Quickly run it out to the garden.  You'll love yourself for it later."

There's a sticky spot on the floor.  "Wipe it up now.  You'll love yourself for it later."

I find I'm telling myself a lot of lies lately.  Because seriously, it's not like I'm going to notice later on that there's not a sticky spot on the floor -- because it's not there!  I should be telling myself, "You'll not be miffed at yourself later" instead.

Re-reading through this I hope I'm not coming across as lazy or a slob.  I'm really not.  I'm fastidious about washing, drying, folding and delivering laundry to the appropriate bedroom every Tuesday (although it usually sits clean and folded in the basket until... sometime before the next Tuesday when I need the basket to carry the dirty stuff to the laundry room again).  Dinner is chronically on the table by 6 p.m. (except tonight, of course, as I sit here and try to list my timely attributes).  Four afternoons out of five, the school work counter gets cleared of all papers, books, pencils and tooth-marked erasers.

So there, I'm not lazy.  Or a slob.  I just need a little motivation to make sure I don't become that way.  And thus I'm writing this now at 7:54 p.m. rather than at 10:54 p.m. -- I'll love myself for it later!

No comments: