Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Four Years and Counting


It's only Tuesday but I've got a few minutes on my hands and some thoughts on my heart.  As y'all may already know, Wade and I started pursuing adopting a child four years ago (seriously, four years?!?).  Because of a variety of hold-ups, we didn't get our foster license for almost a year and a half, and then we were on a wait list with AASK, a branch of the foster care system that deals with placing kids needing permanent homes.

In the two years since we finally got on board with all the necessary entities, there have been two times when we were seriously considered for a child or sibling group needing a permanent home.  Both times the case workers narrowed their search down to two families (one of which was us), agonized over which to choose, and opted to place the children with the other family.

I am convinced that God lead them to their choices, and so it was good that they didn't choose us, but it was also very emotionally draining both times we were told, "You may have a child very soon," and then were told, "Not this time."

I bring this up because once again we're being considered for a placement.  At this point the case workers are still recruiting families, and there will likely be lots since the child is young and healthy -- a truly blessed condition, we've come to realize!  

Having been "so close" twice before, I'm trying to not get my hopes up, while at the same time having at least the beginnings of a plan in place should we get her (her!).  It's hard to stop the mental checklist once it starts -- Do we still have a car seat that size?  What bedding will we need?  How would we shuffle the boys to open up a bedroom?

Anywho, all that to say, please pray.  Pray for this little girl, her current foster family, her biological family, the social workers making choices about her future, and her permanent family, whoever that may be.  I'll keep you all posted if any news comes up to post!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Praying for all of you!

Mom D said...

Praying!

Abbey said...

I didn't know you guys were in actively in this place. I will pray for you.
Abbey