Saturday, October 06, 2012

Talking to Myself in the Past


I recently read something in which the narrator said, "If my 11-year-old self could see me now..." and I thought, "You do that TOO?  I thought I was the only one!"

I like to mentally go back and tell my younger self that it's going to be okay, that things I worried about then -- no one's ever going to want to marry me, I'll never get over being painfully shy, I'll never be able to handle the responsibilities of being an adult -- are going to turn out okay.

For the most part, I think my childhood self would be pleased with my adult self.  She would be thrilled with my marriage, with my ability to talk to adults comfortably, with my still-tight bond with childhood friends, that eventually I outgrew acne, and that I'm proficient in the kitchen.  She would wonder where the rest of my kids were (I was planning on at least seven, you know), how I could possibly be such a dork in front of my husband, and what in the world am I doing living in North Dakota.

If I could really go back and tell myself things and have it actually make a difference in my past, I'd tell myself not to buy into teenage drama (not that I did that much, but there was more than enough of it); that there's no point in dating until I'm ready to look for a spouse (which I think Dad and Mom did tell me, but I didn't really believe them -- would I believe myself?); that when given the opportunity to show love, seize the moment;  to spend more time with my grandparents while I have the chance.

It makes me wonder, these reflective thoughts, what my future self would someday like to go back and tell my here-and-now self.  Don't worry as much about how the kids are doing in math as how they're doing in integrity.  Take every opportunity to do something fun with Wade.  Don't make a big deal out of spilled milk -- the price and inconvenience are nothing compared to the cost of grumbling at your sons.  Wear more sunscreen.  I don't really know, but these are my guesses.

So what would you say?  What would you tell your childhood self?  What advice would you give your ten, twenty, thirty-years-ago self?  I'd like to know!  Maybe I can't send myself messages from the future, but I can take the wise words of others and listen to them now.  So share -- what would you tell yourself?

1 comment:

Mom D said...

I would tell my younger self, child self and young adult self, to lighten up and quit taking things, myself in particular, so seriously. Count more on God and less on me. I think I tried to shoulder much more responsibility than necessary. It's not that I took on more responsibility than I should have, but I thought I my role was more important than it was. I'm still working on that.