Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Waiting Game

March is such a tease.  Temperatures spiking in the 70s tempt me to stash the heavy winter coats, and two days later single-digit numbers on the thermometer remind me never to trust this time of year.  March taunts and torments with sunshine and snowstorms, but mostly it just flirts.

And knowing it's a flirt and not able to commit to anything serious, I am withholding my heart from it this year.  Slowly I am learning.  Oh yes, I'll delight in its warm and sunny teases, but I won't be devastated when a late spring snow blankets the slowly thawing ground.

But in anticipation of June, that much more reliable, faithful and gentle month that actually keeps it promises, I bought seeds!  Yea!  The tomatoes and some flowers are already nestled in warm little pots filled with fragrant dirt (inhaaaaaaaale... awwww!).  It smells like happiness in the dining room now.

And I spent my birthday money from Dad and Mom DW (thank-you!) on a new pair of snips and a dazzlingly versatile hose nozzle I'd been trying not to covet from my neighbor.  And some dahlia bulbs.  And some freesia bulbs.  It was so very hard to stop there, but I know the greenhouses will try even harder to pull me in than the gardening aisle does and so I must exercise restraint at this time of year.  Like I said, I'm getting better at dealing with March so as not to be betrayed by it later.

Less than a week left of this deceptive month before its nearly as unreliable counterpart tries its hand at love.  I will enjoy April's company, but my heart is holding out for true summer.  Come quickly, dear summer!  I will greet your arrival with seedlings, gardening gloves, a rototilled garden and new gardening tools!

No comments: