Thursday, March 07, 2013

Wednesday again

Alas, I missed another Wednesday blog post.  I could make excuses (cuz really it's been a busy week and it's only Thursday!), but I'm trying to encourage my kids to not make excuses but just buck up and admit, "yup, I missed that one.  I'll try harder next time."  So here I go.  Oops, missed that one, but hopefully next week I'll do better.

Speaking of training up children (isn't that what I was just talking about?), Wade and I just finished reading "Raising Real Men" by Hal and Melanie Young.  A few of their ideas and suggestions were noteworthy enough to... wait for it... make notes of!  One (that we actually did write down so we don't forget about it) is holding a coming-of-age observance for sons when they reach 13 or so (sounds very Jewish, no?) and intentionally bestowing more responsibilities and freedoms on them.  We liked that idea.

There have been several things we've made note of lately in the child-rearing department.  Sadly, many of them have come up because we feel like we didn't do them well with Nick, who has been our teenage guinea pig.  Again, I could make excuses about having to deal with teenage issues before we'd had time to think them through, but really, there are some things we just dropped the ball on, and we'd like to do better in the future.

The next book Wade and I are tackling is "Cleaning House: A Mom's Twelve-Month Experiment to Rid Her Home of Youth Entitlement" by Kay Wills Wyma.  Wade heard an interview with the author on Focus on the Family and was intrigued.  I think it sounds fabulous.  I'm harboring hopes though that much of what she suggests is stuff we're already doing, because I really do try to teach our sons responsibility and helpfulness and duty in the home.  If it's fabulous, expect to hear about it in a few months when we finish it.

And now other duties call, so I'm signing off.  Have a lovely night, y'all!

No comments: