Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Great Minds

Several weeks ago I stumbled across a quote by Eleanor Roosevelt that lodged in my brain and has made me more aware of what kinds of things I (and others around me) talk about.  She said, "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people."

At first I felt rather self-conscious as I tried to remember what I had talked about that day and what this said about my mind.  And what about my children?  What kinds of minds have I been training up?

But after many days of mentally logging our family's topics of discussion, I feel a sense of relief that Eleanor Roosevelt would have approved of much of our dinner table conversation (because, you know, isn't the former First Lady's opinion pretty much the most important thing to be worrying about in life?).

However, I'm wishing I'd physically logged those table topics because right now, on the spot, I can't think of any of them, and there have been some great ones.  I'll start writing them down and share them sometime in the future.  You know, prove to the world that Ms. Roosevelt would think our minds are in fine shape!

No comments: