Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Garden Happy

The garden is planted!  The garden is planted!  Today was a fun day.  Corn, beans, tomatoes, peas, cucumbers, gourds, pumpkins, lettuce, spinach, carrots, radishes, several herbs, broccoli, chamomile and a few flowers ideal for cutting... the peppers are the only veggie not yet in the ground.  Whew!  Good thing I had the boys helping me!

I added several edibles to my list this year but didn't really want to enlarge the garden (or make Wade move the underground irrigation necessary to do so), so this summer finds all sorts of veggies interspersed with perennials around the yard.  A "salad" bed (lettuce, carrots, radishes and spinach) is tucked in near roses and hollyhocks, some of the tomatoes are gathered around a little blue spruce and surrounded by irises and day lilies, and the peppers will fill in some gaps around my still small blueberry bushes.  I think the effect will be a fuller, lusher look, though harvesting may be more of a challenge with the produce scattered all over the yard.

The next three days call for rain, so I'm hoping for soft, gentle sprinkles to soak those babies in.  Praise the Lord that food production and plant propagation are such lovely, fragrant and tasty affairs!

No comments: