Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Potty Training Mission (almost) Complete

Poor Elijah has such a mean mommy. I know he knows how to go potty all by himself, and so I am trying (with slowly increasing success) to get him to go by himself (particularly if I am in the midst of something not easily set aside, like a spelling test perhaps). But he is SO SURE he needs help that he will stand there doing the potty dance and begging until he pees his pants in front of me! Argggg!

When I do accompany him to the bathroom, my duty consists of saying, "Pull down your pants. Now sit on the toilet." Job done. He can handle it from there. So why is it so critical that I be there? Seriously? Can someone explain this to me? I know, three-year-olds aren't rational. That may just be all there is to it.

Thankfully he is getting better at going alone, especially if I make him a deal like, "you go potty while I make your snack," or "you do it yourself while I get a video ready for you." He doesn't really buy "you go potty while I give your brother his spelling test" though. Hrmpf.

All that said, I am very grateful to be past the diaper stage -- VERY GLAD INDEED!

No comments: